what's with the new temperaments

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Sun, 09 Mar 2003 14:20:37 +0000

ric M wrote:
If you are interested in the figures from Ellis obtained by
direct measurement of 4 of Broadwood's tuners ca 1880 I will be
glad to post those and the calculated beat rates of 3rds.
      ---rm
<end>\\

Yes!, please do, so we can be on the same page.  Also, since I don't have
Ellis, could you please give a synopsis of the methods used to measure the
tuning?  I'd be happy to crunch any numbers; one of the more interesting
quasi-equal tunings I've run across has all of the thirds spaces perfectly
in chromatic order, but the fifths jump from pure to 4 cents off, instead of
the around 2 cents off that ET requires...

What this may show is that they had a goal in mind, but their implementation
was seriously flawed, if they couldn't repeat a tuning with any regularity.

Ron Koval