Quiet(er) Air Compressor - final chapter

Sun, 9 Mar 2003 14:12:36 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Smith" <dsmith941@hotmail.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: March 09, 2003 7:40 AM
Subject: Re: Quiet(er) Air Compressor - final chapter

> Just a quick follow up to thank those who responded to my question.  I
ended
> up with a Sears 2-stage, 5.1 cfm at 90 psi 25 gal vertical oil less
> compressor.   Under $400 on "sale".  Like it so far.  Much quieter than
all
> the others I saw (heard).  Actually bought the oil lubed single stage unit
> first, but had to return it because the pressure switch didn't work well.
> It was also real smelly in my small workshop.
>
> So, thanks again for the advice.  I really appreciate this list.

Ah, yes. Should have mentioned that. We also have one of those--use it to
come up with the 150-170 lbs. pressure we need for one application. It
appears to be the same compressor used for the larger-tank versions but with
the pump running at half-speed. It should be a good compressor. It is
reasonably quiet and, since it appears to be lightly stressed, it should be
very reliable.

On the strength of that we purchased the two larger compressors. Big
mistake. Run twice as fast, make four times as much noise and break down
frequently. Fortunately they are easy to rebuild.

Del