OT sort of--Saving husband !

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@attbi.com
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 00:29:31 -0500

List

            My customer, a European immigrant- professional man,very
nice fellow, has an old upright-3/4  plate---Awful shape W/ kids trying
to learn on this thing. I've serviced it a few times, holding it
together as best I could hoping to convince him to replace it soon.

            So here's the story. The husband buys a learn to tune kit w/
the basic tools included-Gooseneck lever etc.

            I get a call-----Please could I come over right away,
something is wrong with the piano!

            Tells me he tuned the piano "successfully" then the next day
it was flat again. So he pulls it up again. You guessed it, flat again.
I think this went on for a while.

            He took the action out and had to pry upward with on the
bolts to get the action back in.

            Then the lid won't close. And what alerted you that
something was wrong?

            He removed the veneer from the top of the pin block and
that's when I got the call

            The block(open faced) ,along with some cast iron components
framing it had separated from the posts and pitched forward and angled
down toward the keys.

            The block has moved at least two inches. ---- I think you
get the picture here. Catastrophic failure!

            Now to my save the Husband part. His wife is furious and
insists this was all his fault with the tuning experiments.I don't think
we are talking divorce here but this Bad Boy is  in trouble!.

I'm convinced based on examination that glue joint failure, combined
with our extremely dry winter set this up, and his pitch raising just
made it keep moving after the failure. He asked if I could please tell
his wife that is not his fault. No, he pleaded actually.

            In his presence at the piano, I called his answering machine
from my cell and exonerated him.(She was at work)

            I of course condemned the instrument, taking a bad piano out
of its misery AND bailed this guy out of Husband Hell.I thought he was
going to cry!

            And they say this job isn't rewarding!

            Tom Driscoll RPT