uprights, uprights, uprights

Mon, 10 Mar 2003 09:07:09 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: michael campi=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: March 10, 2003 4:51 AM
  Subject: uprights, uprights, uprights

  Hi y'all,=20

  A while ago I asked for some info on upright action geometry and got a =
response for which I thank you. There was a discussion on this list, not =
too long ago, about design aspects of old uprights and it was mentioned =
that perhaps there are things we know today that they did not know then =
and because of that we can find some flaws in the design of these old =
pianos. What I would like to know is: What are these things that we know =
today I have read Lawrence Nalder's book, Samuel Wolfenden's book, Piano =
Tone Building and The Piano Key and Whippen and would be very interested =
in finding sources of information in addition to these that would allow =
me make informed decisions regarding any redesign ie: rescaling, bridge =
position, bridge curve or soundboard modifications. I lay in wait, ready =
to pounce on and devour any and all comments you may have. Thanks in =
advance, Michael Campi

-----

  To what end? Some of what you're asking I've written about in my =
Journal articles. More is covered in my opening day class at the annual =
PTG Convention (again this year, in Dallas, for those who are true =
gluttons for punishment). If you're trying to understand the design and =
function of the piano, these may help. If you're trying to design your =
own new line of pianos it's probably inadequate and you'll have to wait =
for The Book.

  Del