compression vs rib crowning

Mon, 10 Mar 2003 20:52:50 -0800

My sense is that Bolduc builds boards to match in terms of fit, but that he
has his own philosophy about how the boards are crowned to produce optimum
tone.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

what does he do when he gets an order for an 1892 Knabe soundboard, or an
A. B. Chase, or a Chickering, a Mason & Hamlin, a Decker Bros., etc. Does
everyone make soundboards exactly the same? How does he know what the
radius cut into each rib was originally? Or the MC at the time of rib/panel
glue-up? I'm not picking on Andre, but anyone that "duplicates" old
soundboards. I say you can't do it unless you know exactly what the radius
of each rib was, the radius of any mold used during rib/panel glue-up, and
the MC of the panel at rib/panel glue-up. Perhaps for Steinway, one can
duplicate a board as this stuff I think is known. But I really don't think
any of that is known about piano companies that went out of business 100
years ago.

> So. How does Andre Bolduc or anyone else "duplicate" those boards? I say
that they redesign them while keeping the appearance of the originals.