compression vs rib crowning

Tue, 11 Mar 2003 16:48:54 +0100

David Love wrote:

>  Is the difference between rib and compression crowning one of tone or
> longevity (or both).  David Lovedavidlovepianos@earthlink.net

Depends on who you talk to :) I havent heard any of Rons or Dels
constructions so I cant speak to them. But the so called disasters that
I keep hearing about concerning the Steinway compression boards just
plain seem to escape me. But then I dont live in a tropical swamp either

But I believe... you will probably find that at least the problem of
cracking due to climatic conditions that are generally too dry and
rarely more then mildly too humid will roll in favour of the Compression
board.... at least in terms of longevity.

Tonal....  thats such a subjective matter I personally dont see a lot of
room for argumentation one way or the other.

JMV

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.