compression vs rib crowning

Tue, 11 Mar 2003 17:27:13 +0100

Isaac OLEG wrote:

> I simply suspect that for someone which is not trained in piano design
> it takes years of sounboard building and installing to finish with its
> own relatively clear understanding of the relations between parts ,
> building method and installing method. A very very few people that
> where able to appreciate all the relations involved between design,
> material, tone idea, downbearing .

I would certainly have to agree with this point. For the rest of us we
simply have to rely on what those few have to say on the matter, and what
little we are able to ascertain ourselves. What amazes me tho, is that
despite claims of science, physics, and knowledge on every concievable
side of this fence... there are major players that seem quite at odds of
some very fundemental points. Clearly, mutually exclusive veiwpoints are
not unifiable... so somebody(s) are either just plain wrong, or carried
away in their conclusions. For the unitiated.... its entertaining as well
as confusing.