PTG Needs The Money, Was: Dallas Convention Web Site

Brian Trout brian_trout@hotmail.com
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 13:00:14 -0600

My thoughts interspersed...

>From: Wimblees@aol.com
>To: pianotech@ptg.org
>Subject: Re: PTG Needs The Money, Was: Dallas Convention Web Site
>Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 12:37:13 EST
>
>To Brian and John, and all the other any others out there who might share
>their
>views.
>
>Although the convention does generate income for the PTG, when you look at
>the total budget, it is not a "Major" source of income for the PTG. In
>fact,
>as much time and energy the convention takes, in terms of man power by the
>volunteers, and the expense of paying the home office to run it, the PTG
>would probably save money by not having an annual convention.

Just a little simple math would tell you that for an expected attendance of
around 900 members, the revenue generated by just the registration fees
should be upwards of about $300,000.  Does it cost the exhibitors a "fee" to
show their wares as well?  Are you saying it costs more than that to put on
the convenion?  If so, I really (and I mean this sincerely) wonder why.

>But we do have a convention. So should it make money, or should it be a
>money
>loosing operation?

I'd much rather see it as a non-profit event as opposed to being a fund
raiser.  It should cost the attendees what it costs to put on the convention
plus a reasonable cushion for the unforseen.  (Hopefully, these conventions
having gone on for this many years, estimates would be fairly reliable.)

>We can pay for the convention in one of two ways. We can
>keep our annual dues down at a ridiculously low level, (compared to other
>professional organizations), and pay a little more for the convention. Or
>we
>can raise the dues, and pay less for the convention.

I don't see the necessity of their being a connection between dues and a
convention unless it may be decided that the dues would cover the costs of
the convention registration completely.  (I'm not opposed to that.  It might
encourage attendance as well as spread the financial load out a bit
farther.)

>Unfortunately, as John pointed out, the convention registration is only a
>small percentage of the total cost of the convention. (In addition to those
>expenses mentioned, don't forget the loss of income for a week.) So the
>question is, if the registration fee is reduced by a hundred dollars, will
>that get more people to come to the convention? I think not.

I think so.  It's supply and demand.  You can raise the price to $3000
registration, and you'll still have some that will attend.  Not many, but
you'd still have the most loyal ones.  Lower the price to $0 and you'd have
many more than you'll have at $349.  (And that's if you get your
registration in by June 2.  After that it's a whopping $415.)

>Most technicians don't come to a convention because they still haven't
>figured out that attending a convention is just like advertising. It does
>cost, it pays.

Yes, it does cost.  Dearly.  I'd just like to see it a little more
accessible to those who really can't afford it.  Perhaps it would PAY in
their lives, too.

>These are also the same ones that can't seem to find the time
>to attend FREE chapter meetings, or one day seminars in their home town.

Painting with a pretty broad brush there, arent we?

>And
>the non members who complain about the high cost of the convention are the
>same ones who say they can't afford to join the PTG in the first place,
>because, again, they can't see the financial benefit of belonging.

I'm not talking about non-members.  I'm talking about the ones who antie up
the dough each and every year and pay their dues.  (And for the ones who
can't afford to go to the conventions, It's $200 or so a year for a magazine
subscription and a monthly meeting they can attend, not to mention they can
use the PTG name in their advertising.  In all due respect, most of my
former tuning customers didn't give a hoot whether I was a PTG member or
not.  <I'm no longer a tuner.>  To be fair, I've been to chapter meetings
where there have been some excellent technicals.  I've also been to some
that were nothing more than a gab session.)

>I've attended every PTG convention since 1978, with the exception of two
>years ago in Reno, when I moved from St. Louis to Alabama. And the only
>reason I didn't go then was a time factor, not a monetary one.

I'm glad money is not an issue for you.  Not all are in that position.

>Piano tuning is my chosen profession. Therefore, for me, the convention is
>my
>number one priority. It is the only time, and the only place, I can learn
>about my craft, to make me a better technician. Nothing short of a family
>emergency will keep me away. That is how important the convention is for
>me.

Certainly admirable ideals, but not practical for all others.  I still
contend that there are those who must chose between paying their mortgages
and attending the convention.

>So for all you naysayers out there. Beg, borrow or steal the money to
>attend
>the convention.

Beg... well, let's see.  I beg those who have power over such to re-examine
the price that must be paid by card carrying members of the Piano
Technicians Guild to attend the annual convention.  It's too high a price.

Borrow...  Hell NO!  This nation is filled with people who have borrowed
beyond any reasonable way to pay.  If I can't pay for it, I won't go.

Steal...  Hell NO!  Not an option.  I know it's only a 'catch phrase', but
why should one need to resort to such, even in passing thought?

>You will earn enough to justify the expense.

Tell it to the guy who's just barely able to make his mortgage payment. To
the guy who really and truly can't afford it, that's a slap in the face.

>And once you've
>made a commitment to go every year, it will become easier and easier.
>You'll
>become a perennial. And besides learning, you'll make some great friends.
>
>Wim.

Yes, you will learn a lot.  And you will make some wonderful friends...  if
you can afford to get there...

My unpopular opinions...

Brian T.