PTG Needs The Money, Was: Dallas Convention Web Site

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 16:26:31 -0500

Friends,

We can't put all the non-attenders in the same category.  I also seriously
question if we can say that all those who attend the conventions will therefore
make a good living, or conversely, that if you don't go you'll be poor.

I like going to the conventions.  They help recharge my battery.  It is written
into my annual business plan, and included in my business budget, to attend two
conventions annually, usually the MARC and (inter)national conventions, if
feasible.

There are ways to save money.  Here are some that I've used in the past.  (1)
Drive and carpool if possible, rather than flying.  (2) Skip the banquet.  (3)
Share a room with one or two others.  (4) Take a small cooler and a box of
cereal with you.  Buy a quart of milk, keep it cool with ice from the ice
machine, and have breakfast in your room.  You can also take foods that keep
well for lunch, such as apples, breakfast bars, whatever.  (5) Avoid buying
meals in the convention center.  If you have a car with you, scout around for
cheap fast food joints.  Not the best for you, I suppose, but it won't kill you
for several days, either.  (6)  Find out which (good) convention is closest to
your home and go to that one.

If you belong to a church (or other organization) such as mine, you may be able
to stay in a member's home nearby.  I did that for several years.  Cost
$4/night.

Any other ideas for those who legitimately need to pinch pennies?

Regards,
Clyde