mutes

Jonathan Finger johann@tollidee.com
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:32:23 -0700

Charles,
I find the Papps mute to be very helpful in some situations.  I use
rubber mutes, and felt strips throughout the piano, but in the treble,
find the Papps to be useful.  Many times you can't fit a rubber mute up
in the treble while tuning unisons (at least not the big thick ones I
like).  This leaves the option of tuning "open" unisons with the felt
strip, moving the rubber mute with each string (time consuming), or
using a Papps mute.  As you mentioned, you can also use it to mute the
two outside strings while you tune the center string.  This isn't how I
use it, but it certainly can be useful in that respect as well.

Jonathan Finger RPT

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Charles Neuman
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 4:03 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: mutes

Does anyone use the Papps spring mute (which I see in the Pianotek
catalog)?  What exactly does it do? Mute the outside strings while you
tune the center? And what about the wooden mutes with a split wedge? How
are they useful?

I'd love to improve my efficiency in the upper treble, and I'm open to
various techniques, including strip muting, not strip muting, and using
various kinds of mutes. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Charles Neuman
PTG Assoc, Long Island