what's with the new temperaments?

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 07:04:49 -0600

> I just came across an old business card in an old upright last
month.
 A message across the decades..... It had the person's name, and
underneath it  said:
> "Well tempered tunings"
>
> I wonder what he really meant?

Its a fluke. I am willing to bet nobody else has seen such a card
either.   But it is interesting never the less.   If there were
tuners who practiced something systematically different than ET
(during the time of that business card), that would be of great
interest to students of piano tuning history.  I would really like
to see that card.

> I wonder what he really meant?

A tale told by an idiot?  The signature of a slop artist?

My piano tuning teacher was German.  He taught me in English but
for the first 3 years evaluated my attempts at ET  in High German,
low german and Yiddish.   All  I understood was "dumbkoph"
(sp?)---which may have been fortunate.

---rm