what's with the new temperaments?

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 13:36:34 +0000

after telling the story of finding an old business card:

>"Well tempered tunings"
>
>I wonder what he really meant?

ric M responds:

Its a fluke. I am willing to bet nobody else has seen such a card
either.   But it is interesting never the less.   If there were
tuners who practiced something systematically different than ET
(during the time of that business card), that would be of great
interest to students of piano tuning history.  I would really like
to see that card.
<snip>

My point was just the opposite.  Just like my college professor, who used
the title of the Well Tempered Clavier to explain how Equal temperament was
developed by Bach.....  I'm sure this tuner was tuning whatever, aiming for
ET, but using the catchy phrase of Well tempered tuning to advertise.  My
bet is that he hadn't a clue that there was anything other than ET worth
tuning!  Now if I could just remember who's piano that was in......

Ron Koval
Chicagoland