Farrand Grand-Responce to Terry & Greg

Gholley237@cs.com Gholley237@cs.com
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 19:58:50 EST

Hello Terry and Greg.
In responce to my Farrand -Cecilian Grand, here are the details.
SN 80139, circa 1923
5'
Outer rim - 13/16" thick, 14 1/2" deep
Inner rim - 1 1/16" thick, 7 ply
Framing posts - 2 1/2" x 3 1/2", 3 posts constructed simular to a Boston
5'-1" I've seen.
Plate - 4 section
Soundboard has no cracks.
Action - Was removed in 1974 to have new keytops put on. I've not removed it
to do any work, but do plan on it this spring, to replace hammers and shanks,
replace wippen cushion cloth, very probably re-string and new pins.
Scale - 12 note mono and 18 note bichord bass.
One string replaced, C#5, prior to 1953; and one repair knot D3.
Egg and Dart molding, 13/16" wide, all 4 front edges of music desk.
Egg and Dart molding, 1 7/8" wide, all around the bottom perimeter of case.
Bench has turned legs exactly the same as the double turned legs at each of
the three support points.  Each double leg has a turned horizontal top and
bottom member.
It holds a tuning with very little pitch drop during a 12 month cycle.
I use an FAC tuning with my SAT III.
I keep the RH at a plus 42% in the winter heating months.
My mother and I purchased the piano while I was in high school and I've moved
it
twice in Michigan, once to PA, then to Omaha, NE., and then to our residence
here in Goshen, IN.  After each move I immediately had it tuned and have
always kept it tuned and in repair.
The piano originally sat in a sun room for many years without any protection
for the finish.  The case and top are mildly sun checked.  But if you close
the top over the
pins, the area that never got the sun is the most beautiful dark satin
mahogany finish.
I don't plan on ever selling it, regardless of the value or lack of, it will
go to one of my daughters, whenever . .
Thanks fellows for the interest.  I may take some color pics with my 35 mm,
scan them and send you come copies if you have an interest.
Regards, Gordon Holley
Associate Member
Indiana Chapter 467