Perhaps the reason for "rake" is this:

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 02:36:46 -0800 (PST)

When a key is gently struck the hammer butt moves
slowly, and the shank and hammer move accordingly with
little flex to the shank. But when a key is hit hard,
the shank precedes the lagging hammer a bit, and
flexes in the process.
    By designing "rake" into the system, it is assured
that the apex of the hammer crown, upon a harder blow,
hits the prime striking point: not above or below. It
also imparts extra strength to the system, as more
strain would be put on the shank were a hammer bored
at exactly 90 degrees. Then, as the hammer shank
flexed on a very hard blow, the hammer would hit the
string from beneath the crown area, imparting a
"prying" force to the hammer head/shank juncture and
more likely snapping it.
    I believe that these two factors, working in
tandem, are the prime consideration for using "rake"
in hammer boring.
     Thump

--- Richard Brekne <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>