Tuning Tunes

Kuang Wang wang@datanaut.com
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 09:48:32 -0500

Hi,

I usually play the twinkle twinkle mozart variation in C and the 3rd
Rachmaninoff concerto.  2 contrasting piece is probably a good idea.
The twinkle tone should be easy to learn.  The simple tenths and 6th in
the piece will test your temperament.  And the concerto will test the
overall balance/stretch of the tuning.

Kuang

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of stars@teleport.com
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2003 11:42 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Tuning Tunes

Hey Y'all,

I've been out of town for a few weeks taking care of my mother as she
recovers from a knee replacement surgery. Haven't kept up on the
digests, but just read the last one and a question came to mind.

What tunes do you use as your 'test' tunes to play when you are finished
tuning? I know this is highly irrelevant, but I find the choice of
favorites interesting with the different technicians I've had work on my
pianos over the years.

As a non-professional, I can tell you that when a customer hears her
piano played by someone who has just finished tuning it, and hears the
sound bounce around the house of a tune that is part of the technicians
toolbox, it just feels and sounds so neat to hear - how do you pick 'em?
Which one do you use? And if there is a reason - why?

:)
Dorie