Fixed Whippen

Fri, 14 Mar 2003 21:04:26 +0100

Ran into an action today that I will be replacing hammers on and doing
some basic touchweight evening and the action was rather rare so I
thought I would jot down a few lines, tho I havent had a chance to
really inspect it closely.

Of note was the capstan/whippen coupling. Here was a typical rocker
lever, but where the capstan would usually be was a center pin. From the
whippen was a pinned post with a cashmir bushed push on connector that
coupled the key to the whippen.

Also there were 88 assist springs, all very strong. Rather large
hammers, tho way too mushy and worn, very little leading except up at
the top where there was a good deal of back leading and extremely light
touch even tho the action was very poorly regulated.

Keyframe had no glide bolts and balance pin rail  was a 5 ply vertical
laminant. Outside on each side looked like fir about 5 mm thick, then
two layers of birch I believe perhaps 2 cm thick , then a very thin ply
fir again in the middle .... maybe 3 mm. The back rail was similiar but
had a couple more plys with the middle section being a 2 cm thick peice
of  the birch sided by two peices of thin fir. Grain went lengthwise.
Front rail looked like the fir again...same grain orientation but no
plys. Coupling peices were all in the fir with the grain going
perpendicular to the rails. Tho the frame had quite a bit of flex to it
when you lifted it, it was dead flat on the key bed and it didnt look
like there had been anything done with the frame for 30 -40 years.

Its one of two locally made grand pianos. Jacob Knudsen. No serial
number but I can find out when it was made. Probably around 1950. Looks
to be about 250 long, big but not quite a full concert length.

I'll get to check out the action closer in the next couple days when I
get it placed in my shop

Cheers

RicB

--