Bridge Cap Thickness

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 18:20:49 -0500

What are the guidelines on how thick a bridge cap should be? And why. I've got a new vertically laminated long bridge that can be trimmed down to any height, and I'm trying to figure out how thick to make the cap. The cap will be horizontally laminated with about 1.6 mm laminations. Laminations will be epoxied together. The installation should allow the cap to remain at near full thickness. It's a bit of a pain making the laminated cap, and that process is only complicated by increasing the number of laminations. I have five laminations now and it adds up to about 8 mm thick. I would like to not make it any thicker than optimal, or to the point of diminishing returns.

Terry Farrell