old Lowrey console

Dave Foster foster29@earthlink.net
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 20:15:14 -0500

Re: old Lowrey consoleIn fact, yes she has complained about it.  Just about
an hour ago, she called me up to let me know that it didn't sound any better
and it still seemed out of tune.  Of course, I reassured her that the piano
was in fact in tune.  So this isn't just my interpretation.  She has
complained.
The very first time I tuned it, about a year ago, I did add some hammer
softner solution to the middle section and it seemed to not help.  That's
why I resorted to reshaping and needling.  I'm beginning to wonder if it is
just the piano design and quality that makes it sound this way.
I have not tried pliers, though.  I haven't resorted to that just yet.  I
wanted to get a better opinion on what else to do.

Dave Foster

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Keith McGavern
  To: Dave Foster ; Pianotech
  Sent: Friday, March 14, 2003 5:44 PM
  Subject: Re: old Lowrey console

    ... the tone is a very ugly, schreeking, bright nasty sound that I can
hardly stand while I tune it.             ... I can't understand how it
doesn't drive her nuts.
    ... Is there an easy/short fix to this problem shy of replacing the
hammers that anyone here has found?
    Dave Foster

  Your comments and question beg the following question from me.

  Has this customer complained about the tone that bothers you and
specifically asked you to correct it?

  If not, let sleeping dogs lie.

  If yes, try squeezing the shoulders with shank knurling pliers.

  Keith McGavern
  Registered Piano Technician
  Oklahoma Chapter 731
  Piano Technicians Guild