Laminated Bridge Cap Construction

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 00:02:59 -0600

>That is pretty much how I am making this bridge cap. I just cut the width
>oversize a few millimeters. I slopped on the epoxy just a few minutes ago,
>laid them up, and ever-so-gently set a big pinblock on top of it and then
>a couple of 50 lb. buckets on top of that. I just gotta hope and pray that
>I didn't knock anything sideways and made any of the laminations slide out
>of position. If that happened, I'll go to just laminating up a block and
>cut a cap out of that like you described.
>
>Terry Farrell

With that horizontally laminated bridge root, I started with one layer of
end-glued pieces clamped to a 1x10, so I had a minimal number of pieces in
wet glue to deal with at any one time. A bit later, I added the second
layer. Then, after the glue dried some, I ran it through the planer to
level the surface, and glued and clamped on another layer of butt jointed
pieces. I could plane and add another layer every hour or so, so I did it
in a day, while I spent most of the day doing something else.

Another thing. cross laminating a vertically laminated bridge root should
make it both a whole lot easier to bend to any old dog leg you want, and
limit vertical dimensional changes with humidity swings to 20% of the
change a regular vertically laminated root will experience. I haven't made
an entire bridge this way (just short test samples), so I don't know quite
how much it would affect stiffness. That's a lot of edge gluing for the
cross ply laminations unless you have wide veneer sheets to cut them from.

Ron N