Aftertouch evaluation

Keith Roberts kpiano@goldrush.com
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 09:22:38 -0800

I agree with Richard in that it is a matter of feel. The jack must =
travel enough to escape the knuckle and have a feel of completeness to =
the stroke with no excess motion.=20
0.50 to 0.60 from the point of letoff is about right. Set a sample note =
and check to see that the jack is ending up where it is supposed to. The =
problem is to make all the notes the same. Blow distance changes =
aftertouch so make sure the blow distance is set on every string. Then I =
take a piece of hard plastic, 0.50 thick, the size of a keytop head, =
with a slot the width of a key pin notched in one end and slide that =
under the felt punching. What ever you use, a penny maybe, it has to be =
thin enough to have let off occur, then from your sample note, determine =
how far past let off the key is now traveling and adjust the key dip to =
match the sample. A piano with 0.60 aftertouch, the hammer will drop and =
rise ever so slightly as the punchings firm up. No rise, remove some =
punchings, etc.=20
The same plastic, in the shape of a keytop tail, slides in-between the =
white key pins to do the sharps in the same manner. This is a method =
that produces a very even aftertouch, sharps included.
Note to Bob Davis. Thanks for this method. It was a piece to the jigsaw =
puzzle that sat there for awhile before it fit into the picture. Knowing =
that you consider some of the methods you have developed to be =
proprietary, I apologize if I crossed that boundary, but hey, these guys =
need all the help they can get. <GRIN> I gave enough hints, they might =
be able to figure out what keytop material is already .050.  As you so =
eloquently posted, sharing information and techniques improves the =
overall quality of piano work around the world and comes back to us in =
form of respect for our profession and earning power. I must compliment =
you on your class at the CA convention, well put together and "the most =
applause at the end of the class" award.
Keith Roberts

----- Original Message -----=20