Tuning Tunes

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 12:17:36 -0600

Question: What's the difference between a dead skunk and a dead trombone
player on the road?

Answer: The skunk was on his way to a gig.

Sorry.

Alan
Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Robin Olson
Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2003 6:33 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Tuning Tunes

   Since I am primarily a trombone player,I too don't really play
piano.To answer Terry's question,I often fake my way through
Malaguena.It uses alot of notes and sounds impressive.I do it in
different keys,but it works best in A minor.Start with an E major
chord,then F major,then G major,then reverse the order.You arpegiate
these chordsind of quickly three or four times.Then go to a minor,d
minor,E major,and back to a minor.
   I never tell a customer I don't play piano,some people can't
understand how you can tune and not play.After 22 years of tuning
pianos I can fake pretty good.I impress the novices and sometimes
amuse the professionals.I would say customers like to hear there piano
played after tuning.It can also be requested by a performing artist,so
they can hear how the piano sounds from the auditorium.Doing concert
work I have also helped sound technicians set mike levels.When doing
outdoor venues I always think it is funny that my bullshit piano
playing is echoeing out across the hills.I fell like Yanni,or maybe
John Tesh.                                    Robin Olson