Screws in aluminum rail ( NOT OT)

Jonathan Finger johann@tollidee.com
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 14:42:22 -0700

As others have said, turning the screw counter-clockwise will help
ensure you're not cross-threading.  Another precaution I like to take,
especially in softer woods, or aluminum, is to start the screw by hand
(assuming we're driving into a pre-existing hole).  With a tool,
especially any power tool, you can cross thread very quickly without
knowing it.  So to avoid this, I start these screws by hand, turning
counter clockwise until it "drops" into place.  Then screw a few turns
by hand to make sure it's in the right thread, then drive it in.

This has saved many a screw when putting the stack back on.  As we all
know, they tend to strip very easily.

Jonathan  Finger RPT

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Isaac OLEG
Sent: Monday, March 17, 2003 11:12 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: RE: Screws in aluminum rail ( NOT OT)

Hello,

FWIW This is a technical message ;>o .

Better have some "repair" screws from Yamaha or such (just a tad
larger) in case the stripping is too much, and it happens for sure.

Some poor quality metal rail actions we have there have Phillips
screws (don't hold well on the screwdriver) that need much force to be
screwed, strangely, and then we are not sure if we are in the good
thread.
May be they where inserted on a too small hole to begin with or the
threading part of these crews is not efficient enough, but reinserting
a set of flanges with these take more than one hour for sure. A little
paraffin help some.

Regards

Isaac OLEG "strictly strict technical pianomaniac"

Entretien et réparation de pianos.

PianoTech
17 rue de Choisy
94400 VITRY sur SEINE