Starkers

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 15:56:36 -0600

I tuned a dandy this morning - a P. A. Stark Supersonic Conso-Grand. My
first, nearly as I can recall. It's almost exactly 1 meter tall, and has an
A-0 speaking length of somewhere around 1600mm! The bass bridge is placed
diagonally in the extreme lower right corner, as far as it could possibly
be gotten from the upper left. bass string angle is so extreme that the
hammers are scarfed off at the corners like a square "grand" so they will
be narrow enough at the strike point to not hit neighboring unisons.
Monochord dampers are as narrow as can be, but still hang up on one
another. It has a 32 note bass, with 15 monochords, 12 copper wrapped
bichords, 3 aluminum wrapped bichords, and 2 plain bichords. Two more plain
bichords in the tenor, and the rest the usual plain trichords to fill out.
The scale, says the plate, is by "Wolfe of Wichita". Anyone know anything
about this piano, and more specifically, Wolfe of Wichita?
Ron N