HT tests

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 17:02:56 -0600

This is a fun idea. But won't the "test" be greatly affected by the
piece/key your unsuspecting victims first play?

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Richard Brekne
Sent: Monday, March 17, 2003 3:58 PM
To: PTG
Subject: HT tests

Ed, Ron K, and other interested

I just put this Ellis #4 Broadwood best on one of the main practice
grands today. I wanted to check my Tunelab procedure against what RCT
comes up with and found near perfect agreement. And I wanted to force
the pianists to be on an instrument that has this tuning in order to
judge better any reactions. The only person who knows about this is the
Harpsichord Instructor and he came an listened today, and noticed
immediately the change from ET. Tho he tunes by aural means in non ET
all the time as that is the accepted norm here for harpsichord.

We speculated that all the harpsichordists would notice right off if put
to it, and that neither of us would be too surprised if the pianists by
and large do not notice. We will see in a few days I suppose. No
comments so far on the two uprights I tuned thus last week.

Tomorrow I do the one of the grands in the professors room I mentioned
last week. He will be told to just compare the two, with no hint of
whats up, and with the understanding that he is not expected to react in
any particular way. If he doesnt like the instrument he will tell me so,
like wise if he does.  He is also aggreed to not attempt to influence
any of his students with his own thoughts or reactions... but sit back
and observe what any of them have to say as well.

I will keep you posted.

Cheers
RicB

--