more Rake Angle stuff

Roger Jolly roger.j@sasktel.net
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 20:35:40 -0600

At 08:07 PM 3/17/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>I know all this is true.  The shank flexes, the hammer doesn't hit
>squarely, etc. yet we like the sound we get.  I wonder if we really
>could get the hammer to strike squarely if we would like the sound it
>made.
>
>dave

Hi Dave,
              I have changed out hex shanks on grands, for Tapered shanks,
on more than one occasion, and noticed a big improvement of tone.
There is another factor, the increase in whip lash, increases the speed of
rebound.
Now is it, the speed of rebound, or a less square hit that causes the
improvement.  (chuckle)

Regards Roger