regulation extremes

Bob Hull hullfam5@yahoo.com
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 22:21:46 -0800 (PST)

Kevin,

Thanks for the response.  I have looked at the relationship of the keys to the key slip and there was only about 5 mm clearance between the keys and the key slip when depressed even on the keys with the least dip which was 3/8.  The depressed keys are even cIoser to the key slip on the ends of the keyboard, due tot the crowned Steinway key leveling.

  I  have been relying on the advice given to me by other techs that 3/8 is too shallow and that pianists don't like it.  I don't like the feel of 3/8 myself.  However, perhaps that feel has to be sacrificed sometimes?  I do need to look at the fallboard/key relationship. It's doesn't seem to hit the key tops when closed.  As long as closed fallboard isn't touching key tops then key ht. is not too high, correct?  But how can you see how much higher they could have been once the fall board is closed? Just set one a little higher and see?  Lots of work removing stack just to do that - can't get to balance rail to add punchings on this kind from underneath like on others.  There does seem to be an abundant amount of balance rail key pin sticking up above the button but not hardly different from another M of same vintage with which I've done some comparison.

I am working currently only with sample white and black keys in each section rather than trying to do all of anything and finding it to be incorrect. I know that specs are only guidelines and that individual pianos require individual specs.  But, aren't there some extremes in adjustment of things such as blow distance and dip that say - "there is another problem which you've not corrected" or, "this is extreme but necessary for this piano." ?

Bob