too much O.T. <Correcting some misconceptions>

Tue, 18 Mar 2003 22:13:27 +0100

David Skolnik wrote:

> David N -
> This is my short response to your post.  The longer, more considered one
> takes time, and thus may never actually make an appearance.  While I agree
> with the underlying sentiment, I feel it important to address a few basic
> presumptions:
>
> At 01:07 AM 3/18/2003 -0700, you (David Nereson,) wrote:
> >Isn't the content of this list monitored, and edited at least for the
> >archives?
>
> We'll save Andy at least one email chore...the answer is  NO to
> both.  Maybe it's time.

Course the problem is, and has always been, how to make this just. Given the nature
of the many forms of dissagreements I find it difficult to believe at best that
monitoring can be fairly achieved unless several people are involved.

There are alternatives to all this as well. The public could access an "Ask the
experts" side where they would be able to submit their questions and view a
selection of a few responses. The list itself could be closed and open only to PTG
members and members of affiliate or companion organizations. Subject matter that
was purely Off Topic could be prohibited and a method contrived for suspending or
baning errant subscribers.

As to the matter of some of the topical flame wars we've witnessed.... I just dont
see how we can get into that without taking sides on an issue... and there's no way
I would support that.

Just a few thoughts on the matter.

RicB

--