partly loose bass bridge

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 20:22:48 -0500

John and others,

Thanks for the input.  I think before I remove all the bass strings, I'll just
let the tension down so I can see if that bridge will pop loose, as it very well
may.  Then I'll get all the strings out of the way and do my typically flawless
repair (spoken ever so humbly).  <G>

John, some bridges may be screwed to the apron, but I don't think this one will
be, since I've done several other Baldwins like this already.  In those cases
the bridge was *totally* loose and even out of position.

Regards,
Clyde

John Ross wrote:

> Hi Clyde,
> I would remove the Bass strings, thread them in order on a pedal prop.
> Then, try and tap the bridge loose with a hammer and chisel, if it doesn't
> come off, then just work some glue into the space, and replace the strings.
> I suppose you would just have to make sure they were really loose, to do the
> test to find out if the bridge were not secure.
> If there is downbearing, that will hold it in place, it wont go sideways
> because, the rest of the bridge is secure.
> If it comes off, then I countersink 2 holes and secure it in place with glue
> and 2 screws. The heads may be covered with plastic wood and a graphite
> coating like the rest of the bridge.
> Another thought comes to mind, the bridge may be secured by screws to the
> apron, from behind, which would mean removing the apron as well.

> > Friends,
> >
> > I need some advice.
> >
> > The piano:  a 1972 Baldwin Acrosonic spinet with finger rail action.
> > The situation:  The bass bridge is unglued for about 5" in the first
> > octave, causing the lowest notes to sound horrid.  The rest of the bass
> > notes sound okay.
> >
> > The potential dilemma:  It is possible that after I remove the bass
> > strings, with the intention of screwing and regluing the entire bass
> > bridge to the apron, part of the bridge is still firmly glued.  Yet, if
> > I try to work glue behind only the part that is separated, the part that
> > seems firmly glued now may come loose in the future.  I would like to
> > avoid a situation where I can't do a good job of regluing because the
> > whole bridge won't come off cleanly.  Am I making myself clear?
> >
> > What would you do?  Will the low bass sound okay if I just try to pull
> > that bottom end together with a screw, and use NO glue, for the time
> > being?  If the rest of the bridge never comes loose, this may turn into
> > a permanent repair, if the tone is okay.  But if it does separate later
> > on, THEN I can disassemble the piano down there and glue everything
> > properly.  Advice?

Clyde