Not the "Thumperer" >was What I love about America

Andy Rudoff andy@rudoff.com
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 08:35:12 -0700 (MST)

>List and Andy,
>
>I specifically sent this message privately. I was very sure it was and yet
>it comes
>back to me from the pianotech list!!!!! Why? I've heard that others have
>had this
>problem also but I don't understand why. I specifically deleted the pianotech
>address!

Hi Avery,

I'm not a eudora user, so I have no idea if there's something
funny about the way it displays the recipient list.  Of course,
by the time it got to the PTG server, it got there because a
message came from your machine with pianotech@ptg.org in the
recipient list -- there isn't much I can do about that.

But here are some suggestions of things to look for (and
this may be useful to others on the list).

1. Pianotech posts come with several addresses in the headers of
   the mail message.  There is an Internet Standard that describes
   how the headers should be formed, and we comply with it.  Different
   mail readers show this information in different ways.  Of course,
   the programs are trying to be helpful, but unfortunately they
   were written by different people so they show the information
   in very different (but helpful!) ways.

2. Posts to pianotech have this header added to them automatically:
   Most mailers honor this header, which means that when you hit
   the "reply" button the reply goes to pianotech@ptg.org and not
   to the individual that sent the post.

3. Posts to pianotech do contain the individual who posted, for example:
	From: Avery Todd <avery@ev1.net>
   some mailers allow you to reply to this instead of the reply-to address.
   My mailer, for example, asked me if I wanted this reply to go to
   pianotech, or avery@ev1.net, or both.

4. Posts to pianotech typically contain this header as well:
	To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
   of course, that's there since the post was sent to pianotech (sometimes
   it is a Cc: address instead of a To: address).  Mail readers handle
   this differently, but some of them include the To: address in replies
   automatically.

So my best guesses at what happened to you are:

	- pianotech was on the recipient list twice and you only
	  edited out one of them.

	- you edited out pianotech, but your mailer thought it should
	  be there due to the reply-to header and helpfully added it
	  back in.

	- due to the way your mailer was showing you the information, you
	  edited a field that wasn't determining whether or not the
	  message goes to pianotech.

Of course, without knowing more about eudora, I can't say if these
are good guesses or not.  But since it has come up a couple times,
you might experiment with some list messages (perhaps from a list
with fewer subscribers than pianotech) and see if you can figure out
exactly how it works, and then post your findings to the rest of us.

-andy