The Feel of Voice

Wed, 19 Mar 2003 18:33:09 +0100

Just got done doing one of my better voicing on the newer of our two
Hamburg C's this weekend, and the comments I have recieved prompted me
to take up this theme again with you all. I know there are good
arguements to point out how difficult it is to explain how a pianist can
"feel" the voice of the piano. But despite that I am more and more
convinced that they do... and quite clearly do at that.

The responses I got were all along the same lines. 1;  everyone was very
very pleased with the results, and 2; they all sited the reasons they
were pleased in terms of how the piano felt. Not one exception.

I asked one of our instructors first thing on Monday morning to check it
out... it was to be ok for this weeks testing of prospective masters
students. His immediate response was that it felt much more even, and
that the touch was better. He said nothing about how it "sounded"... nor
did his behaviour indicate that he was "listening" per say... he was
paying attention to his fingers... you could see his awareness of what
his fingertips were picking up.

Three of our undergraduates that were up for masters studies stopped me
today and said very similar things. One went so far as to ask me what on
earth I had done to make the piano feel so much better... it was like a
miracle she said. Again... none of them mentioned how it sounded, and
this last student was even suprised to hear that the only thing I had
done was voice the piano.

Seems to me that the question about whether or not pianists "feel" the
voice of a piano is rather answered in the affirmative, and the more
interesting question of explaining how this is, just what it is this
"feeling" is about should be taken up.

Cheers
RicB

--