The Feel of Voice

Wed, 19 Mar 2003 19:49:40 +0100

A440A@aol.com wrote:

>  Richard writes:
>
> << Seems to me that the question about whether or not pianists "feel" the
> voice of a piano is rather answered in the affirmative, and the more
> interesting question of explaining how this is, just what it is this
> "feeling" is about should be taken up. >>
>
> It would be interesting to hear just what direction your voicing went.  Did
> you add brilliance or did you mellow it out?

I voiced down. The hammers were hard and the piano was overbright as it has
been under heavy use for a couple months without any attention given to the
voicing. I tend to be really carefull about making big changes and this was no
exception. I just took enough out to get that glassy zing out of the picture...
mostly noticable on very soft play. On loud play there is nearly the same
amount of brilliance... but minus that "crashy extra" that accompanies over
hard hammers.

RicB

--
Richard Brekne