HT tests

Thu, 20 Mar 2003 00:02:50 +0100

Ron Koval wrote:

> ric B wrote:
>
> New student today, same reaction....nothing. She'd played for 3 hours
> without having a clue about whether or not anything had been done. I asked
> three or four times in different wording if she'd noticed anything out of
> the usual and she said no. Finnally I said, well go back to the piano and
> play some more and just keep in the back of your mind that something about
> the instrument is not as it usually is.
> <snip>
>
> As dissapointing as this feels now, it really is the mark of the mild well
> temperaments that when tested this way, they just play fine.  What you may
> want to try, (given the chance again) is to have her play another piano for
> a while and then go back to this one.  That should make a bigger impression.

Doesnt feel disapointing. Actually I am intrigued by the whole thing in the most
positive of ways. We have 52 instruments, 17 of these grands. 2 grands and 2
uprights now have this exact temperament on them, and I will keep it that way
for a while.

> That was what I understood we were going to try to do; set up two rooms with
> instructions for pianists to write about how the instruments responded, and
> then see if there was a preference based on temperament....  We could even
> reverse the tunings and do it again in 6 months or so, to even the odds.

Yes... but for the first days I just want to observe any students who simply
choose to practice in these rooms totally unaware of the change. And I do have
the exact situation you site above in the one instructors room