Tonight's Puzzler

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 17:56:46 -0700

The only reason I'm responding with probably the wrong answer is that =
I've felt that too. Mostly on Baldwin Grands. The key stop rail, right =
above the keys, is screwed down too far, and the back of the key button =
hits it.=20
Kevin.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Farrell=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 5:44 PM
  Subject: Tonight's Puzzler

  Worked on an old upright (Adam Schaff - Chicago) tonight - better =
condition than most - 88 functioning keys, but still, 90 years worth of =
wear. While giving many of the keys firm blows while tuning I noticed a =
reverberation in the keys (maybe 25%-50% of them - some more than =
others) - a bobbling-like feel at the end of the keystroke. You would =
not feel anything abnormal on a light to medium blow. But on a hard blow =
it felt like something was dancing on the back end of the key at the end =
of the key stroke.

  It took me a little while to figure it out. It was not the first (or =
second) thing I checked for. What was it?

  Terry Farrell