The Feel of Voice

Ned Swift swiftspiano@hotmail.com
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 20:14:12 -0500

>I know there are good
>arguements to point out how difficult it is to explain how a pianist can
>"feel" the voice of the piano. But despite that I am more and more
>convinced that they do... and quite clearly do at that.

Richard

I have had to deal with this issue with my wife of all people.  It took me
awhile to understand what she was saying. Over the years, I have learned
that what she was referring to was the amnount of effort required to produce
the sound that she wanted.  She stated that she wanted to play soft passages
without having to play with micro-fine key touch and loud passages without
having to break her fingers. In short, what she wanted was a piano that did
not require extremes when she played.  Proper voicing did that for her.  Was
she still listening to the piano?  Yes.  But her comments were not on how
the piano sounded as how easy it was to achieve the desired sound, ie the
touch.  FWIW.

Ned Swift
Lowell, MI