HT tests

Thu, 20 Mar 2003 10:35:24 +0100

Yes, those are the same offsets.

Interesting to hear how you put the response. I suppose I could have said the
same thing about the two students I have asked directly so far. Both said the
piano sounded nice. But then they knew I just tuned it, and unless it sounded
down right horrible they would hesitate to say anything else. I THINK this is
because they respect my abilities, and are very uncertain of their own "tuning
judgment" skills. I THINK that it would be very easy for me to steer most of
these students into deciding whether they like such tunings or not because of
that. Thats why I want to be as noncommittal and appearance wise neutral as is
possible.

All I get out of things so far, is that 1:) students are not well enough
equipped with aural skills to discern the difference between a medium grade
well temperament and a good ET, and 2:) they experience these well tempered
pianos as nicely tuned.

So far... I cant get see that I should draw any more conclusions out of the
process so far. It WILL be interesting to see how things develope. And no doubt
it will be more and more enlightening as time goes by.

I see no reason why HT's should not be actively employed for anyone who has
some purposefull reason for using them. Actually.. I think that would be kind
of cool. But then I have said that much for about 3 years now.

Keep posting your results. I expect Ron will come up with something soon too.

RicB

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.