HT wine-tasting (was HT tests)

Thu, 20 Mar 2003 11:01:14 +0100

Nice Posting Ric M !

Richard Moody wrote:

> Unfortunately the "preferences" gleaned by a test, of "which
> sounds better" sample A, or Sample B is not much information at
> all.  The subject has only two choices and knows they are expected
> to pick the "best" answer.

I aggree Ric. And it disturbs me to see that this, in reality, little
piece of information is used as a basis for some pretty sweeping
declarations of truth about several HT related tangents. And I dont see
why this should be neccessary when it comes down to it.

> Now if a third choice is included,
> "Can't really tell"  I think you will get a better understanding
> of how much HT's or OT's  matter to the "qualified listener" and
> such blind tests might shed a whole new light on the debate,
> possibly favorable to the hypothesis, "it doesn't really matter".

That would certainly provide another little "bit" of information, and a
nice "bit" as well I might add.

>     My test is to have the practitioners of HT's listen to CD's
> and tell which are ET and which are not.   After all if HT's make
> such a difference shouldn't they be able to tell?  So far no
> takers.

I should think that it would be possible for any decent musical ear to
aquire the skills neccessarry to discern such diffierences, and perhaps
even to the degree of being more specific then just general temperament
type.

> How  bout this test.... ?
>
> Listen to these samples of  pianos tuned in  HT, or ET.   After
> each selection please mark the following......
>     A. ET
>     B.  HT
>     C.  Can't tell.
>     D. Care to guess?
>             1. HT
>              2. ET
>
>     -----rm

Yes... that would be a good addition to all this.  Use the same piano,
tuned by the same technician, played by the same pianist... who in this
particular experiment could be very well informed as to what was going
on.