HT wine-tasting (was HT tests)

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 08:06:55

Hi Jason,

1000 Cd's would be a first guesstimate. Why not contact a local professor
who teaches statistics? Recording does need to be same hall same piano.

I'd prefer it to be a "mechanical" reproducing piano rather than a live
performer, as we are looking at the difference of "temperament" not of how
the performer reacts to it. Just for your information Jason the midi
limitation is 128 different volume levels, not as many as an "analog" live
performer--but certainly better than the simple pneumatic players intended
for home use. Some companies have "libraries" of performances for
sale--which would eliminate one more variable, and possibly give access to
a magnificent pianist, or even *different* pianists.

I believe the pianist should be "double blind" about the temperament as
well. Just one more advantage to a "disk" type instrument.

At 10:06 PM 3/19/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>All right, I admit, there are in fact two recordings as described in the
initial post of this thread. Same pianist, same program, same model piano,
same recording equipment. Different hall, different tuner, different
temperament. (No Disklavier versions.) (And I haven't yet heard them.)

>I propose creating two CDs, similar in construction but with a different
sequence of temperaments, and distributing them so that the recipients do
not know which version they have received. Each CD to be identified by a
serial number. Each CD will have a series of pairs of tracks, e.g. track 1A
and 1B, 2A and 2B, 3A and 3B etc. For each pair of tracks, the musical
segment will be the same, but A and B are taken from different performances
-- one ET, the other HT. The "A" and "B" are randomized -- sometimes the A
is ET, sometimes the B is ET. And although the sequence of musical segments
is the same on both versions of the CD, the distribution of ET and WT into
the A and B slots is different -- so no one except the distributor of the
CDs knows which is which. This satisfies the need for the "double-blind"
testing criteria. The host of the HT wine-tasting will not be able to
reveal his/her personal knowledge through facial expressions or body language.

>At the wine-tastings, people listen to pairs of tracks, and during/after
each pair they fill out an eval form that asks two kinds of questions: (1)
related to how musically pleasing the segment was, and (2) related to which
temperament was used in that segment.

>(1) For the musical preference test, the eval form asks the listener to rate:
>1. It's quite musically pleasing, better than the other track.
>2. It's okay, and so is the other track.
>3. There's something musically displeasing about it, or it doesn't sound
as good as the other track.

>(2) For the temperament identification, the eval form asks the listener to
check one of these:
>1. I'm sure it's ET.
>2. I guess it's ET.
>3. I'm not sure.
>4. I guess it's HT.
>5. I'm sure it's HT.
>
>Now my question turns to statistical validation. How many CDs should be
issued? (How many people would volunteer to host such a wine-tasting? A
very interesting evening it would be!) How many listeners should be polled?
(The more the better, but how many would it take to satisfty the skepticism
of e.g. ric moody?) Are the above questions and rating scales the right
ones? Are there other questions that should be asked? Should the two tracks
(1A and 1B) be played just once, or repeated, or only repeated if listeners
so request?

>Note: I am suggesting ONE CD with alternating tracks from both
performances for the reason that this will better enable direct
comparisons. The musical program that has been recorded is about 75 minutes
long, I believe. That's too long for this kind of comparison, in my
opinion. Better to use relatively short "movements" side-by-side.