Whistle while you work, was, Re: Professional identity

Thu, 20 Mar 2003 11:02:44 -0500

Wim & Alan -

In a theater setting, you expect a certain level of ambient noise, but you
expect, or need to teach theater techs that we need to hear what we're
doing (unless using ETD). We need them to incorporate that awareness into
their behavior.  Necessary talking is OK, but behavior which communicates
the message, either that they don't understand what's involved in what
we're doing, or worse, don't care, is NOT OK.  So, behavior that's
oblivious to your presence...loud, unnecessary talking (or yelling),
laughter, jingling keys, and whistling, especially mimicking the note
you're tuning, needs to be confronted, at some point.  Whistling is a
special case behavior, its perceived offensiveness greatly exceeding the
issue of tuning, as illustrated by Wim's experience.  The crew probably
would have felt the way they did, even if the gut was a good whistler. My
sister-in-law is one of those who goes ballistic if anyone is whistling
around her.  Maybe it's a hearing hypersensitivity, but the underlying
message communicated by a whistler is the nonexistence of those around
them.  Who wants to be told that?

David Skolnik
Hastings-On-Hudson