A first/broken molding

Thu, 20 Mar 2003 17:13:14 +0100

Piannaman@aol.com wrote:

> List,
>
> After tuning thousandss of pianos over the last couple of decades, I
> had an experience yesterday that was a first for me.  It was a brand
> new upright piano, a brand new model manufactured in the southeastern
> US. I was tuning the in the mid-treble when the D-66 hammer snapped.
> No, not the shank.  The hammer snapped right at the beginning of the
> felt where it tapers onto the molding.
>
> I admit to pounding fairly hard when I tune, and perhaps my pending
> divorce had something to do with the ferocity of the blow(:-), but
> this was a new one on me.  Anyone else ever seen this?
>
> Dave Stahl

Only from piano pounders :)

I dont pound, never have, never will. My tunings are solid as the
proverbial rock and that has as long as I remember been my strongest
asset tuningwise. Pounding simply is not neccessary.

Nope.... never had a hammer snap on me.  Rarely, a shank will snap. And
thats always on an old piano that has rather brittleized parts.

Yours is probably a fluke anyways tho. A strange place to snap.

Cheers
RicB

--
Richard Brekne