HT tests

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 22:18:22 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: Ron Koval <drwoodwind@hotmail.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2003 9:17 AM
Subject: HT tests

> ric M looking for test offsets:
>
> Hi ric
>
> Here are the numbers for the test that is currently being run:
>
> C  5
> C# 1
> D  3
> D# 3
> E -2
> F  5
> F# 0
> G  5
> G# 2
> A  0
> A# 4
> B -1
>
> These are then set over an ET curve to get to the desired
temperament.

> I don't have a copy of big red, so I do not know what methods
Jorgensen used
> to get to these numbers.  Maybe someone else can jump in as to
the
> methodology.  I know that looking at Ellis' (p485) measurements,
the numbers
> don't seem to match.
> Ron Koval

For those interested in Ellis's original research, but considering
the book is in copyright and in print, (Dover) I urge those
interested to buy the book or at least check it out from a
library.   But for study purposes and perhaps after seeing these
tables, someone might want to buy the Dover edition of "Sensation
of Tone" containing the Ellis appendices. In that case I suppose
it might be OK to share for through private request.  (In the form
of excel spreadsheets.)  They allow you to enter cents offsets to
compute beat rates.  They will translate  his table of "Piano
Tuning--Fourths and Fifths into cents offsets.  They will
translate cent offsets into cents from C, where C is 0 C# is 100,
D is 200 or which ever deviation it is.  This shows the size of
any interval with simple arithmetic.    ---rm