HT tests

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 05:20:39 EST

Greetings,
 I wrote:
<<  I suggested the following offsets from your best ET, with no

forced stretching, since I don't think non-ET tunings need it :<<

R. Moody asks:

>can you explain what you mean by, "I

suggested the following offsets from your best ET..."

Who do you mean by "your best ET"? <

"Best" as in superlative. As in, an ET that you feel you cannot improve upon.
 Since the use of offsets is based on theoretical values, and represents the
deviation from a "standard", I think the ET that is the departure point
should be as "E" as possible.

>>Are "the following offsets from your best

ET" different from my offsets, if so how did you arrive at them? Could you
post them side by side?

<<

I don't know exactly what you are asking, as I don't know what you mean by
"my offsets".

>>If I want to tune this for a client what should I call it? >>

I think you might want to tune this for yourself and become familiar with its
nature before using it commercially.  It can be called representative 19th
century tuning.  There is really no way to be dogmatic about its labeling,
all these Victorian era tuning results are similar.  This particular set of
numbers is merely the common temperament used by some 21st century techs to
compare listener responses.  The tunings will not all be identical, but close
enough for us to make comparisons between ourselves inre how the modern ear
reacts to a change.
Regards,
Ed Foote