Upright Hammer Butt Types

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 21:59:47 -0500

I am rebuilding a 1913 M&H upright action. It has a Wessell, Nickel and Gross action, and the butts are the same dimensions as the Pratt-Reed type commonly available today. I have converted the brass rail to a wooden flange rail. I am trying to decide whether I should use the original type butt (manufactured by Baldwin and available from Pianotek) that uses the old-type springs mounted on the spring rail, or whether to use the Asian type (manufactured by and available from RennerUSA) that has the integral spring and flange-mounted cord - like those that you commonly see on a Yamaha. I'm leaning toward the Asian type because it is made by Renner (perhaps a little better quality) and the spring arrangement does not have the friction component that the old American type has.

Anyone have any insight into this?

Terry Farrell