Regulation extremes

Bob Hull hullfam5@yahoo.com
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 21:51:03 -0800 (PST)

Ed, Wim, David, Kevin,

The regulation that was being discussed in "regulation extremes" is now finished and it turned out fine.  The program was this morning and the pianist, very accomplished, was pleased.

 Increasing hammer blow more than I originally thought was OK helped the most.  When the blow distance was 1 3/4 as they say they set it at the factory, the hammer shanks were quite high (2-3 shank thicknesses) above the rest cushions.  They were still off the cushions about 1/8" and more in some sections, after I increased the distance to about 47mm.  I did let the distance vary just a little for aftertouch purposes..

The only thing I still wish was different is the small amount of space between a depressed key and the key slip.  The key height was according to Steinway specs, but may have needed to be raised.  There was not time to go that far back into the regulation and still have this ready by today.

I still have to go back and do some work on sostenuto tabs or the position of the sostenuto knife because it is catching some of the tabs of keys that are not depressed.

Thanks for your help.

Bob