Yamaha 201 lower tension bass?

Dave Nereson dnereson@dim.com
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 07:12:29 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don" <pianotuna@accesscomm.ca>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2003 1:33 PM
Subject: Yamaha 201 lower tension bass?

> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know if Yamaha makes a lower tension set of bass strings for
> the LU-201 series of pianos? I have a client with his first "break". Upon
> inspection I see many "folded over" strings that will possibly follow, so
> rather than doing them "one at a time" I'm wondering about totally
> replacement "therapy".
>
> Regards,
> Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.M.T., R.P.T.
>
> mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
> http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/
>
> 3004 Grant Rd.
> REGINA, SK
> S4S 5G7
> 306-352-3620 or 1-888-29t-uner

    I would just call Yamaha and ask.  (800) 854-1569   The P-202 (studio model sold to many schools throughout the 70's and 80's) also seemed to have high-tension bass strings and more of them broke than should have.  Overlapped coils are a problem in many short verticals, even some studio uprights.  Sometimes I undo the becket, back out the pin a few turns, and hook it back on.  Yes, it decreases the "upper downbearing", but I've never noticed a difference in tone.
    Maybe a supply house could be requested to make a set of strings for that model, but with everything "moved down one note", i.e., same string gauges, but a half-step lower, so they don't get pulled so tightly.
    --David Nereson, RPT, Denver