"Spider Lyre"

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sun, 23 Mar 2003 01:48:58 EST

Ron,

Back in my days as a piano mover I faced one of these.  It was a Baldwin, but
it was the same idea.  I remember facing the same dilemma:  how does one
remove the screws to dissassemble the danged thing when they're on the bottom
side?  As I recall, we just bit the bullet, and hired two more guys to come
out and lift the entire piano up and onto the board without putting any
stress on the left leg, then taking the whole thing apart from there.

If the lyre is sturdy enough, you could put a padded prop under it that's
high enough to allow you to access the bracket screws on the leg, and
possibly even on the lyre side.  I almost always used the lyre in tipping the
piano onto the board, unless it was extremely wimpy.

Dave Stahl