Breaking strings - Was: tough work

Phil Bondi tito@philbondi.com
Sun, 23 Mar 2003 07:18:08 -0500

Clyde, this scenario that you describe is probably one reason why I will
fail the Technical Exam when I finally get to take it (I'll answer your post
next, Wim)..string splicing..I have been shown various ways to do it by
various RPT,s and not one of those ways made me feel comfortable with the
outcome. I see very little splicing in the field. When I do, it's usually a
mess and a problem to tune(always a tad flat).

I understand the PTG's requirement that this skill at least be aquired to
pass its test, but I also understand my own concience and my own 'customer
service' attitude. I want that customer to feel that when a string breaks,
they'll get a new one, which is what I do. I'm obviously not provicient, and
probably don't care to be since I have yet to make an attempt in the field
to splice.

There's no doubt my inability for splicing will prevent me from becomming
President of the PTG!,

Phil