rehearsal room to theatre stage

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sun, 23 Mar 2003 09:28:43 EST

Tom

The piano is the same, but the environment is different. That can have a lot
of effect on the piano. For one thing, there is more air around the piano,
and maybe even more reverberation, which will cause echoes of the sound
coming back at you. That might be a reason you are hearing false beats. Also,
check to make sure there is no fan up in the ceiling. that will also cause
"true false beats."

Perhaps the poor rendering was a problem before, but you might not have
noticed it, because you didn't have to change the tuning as much. With the
piano being on stage, it will go out of tune more, so you are changing the
strings more. If you can't seem to get the string to stay, try releasing the
tension on one end of the string, and pulling it up on the other end. That
gets the notches away from the pressure points.

As far as the broken string, that might be purely coincidental.

Wim