Breaking strings - Was: tough work

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Sun, 23 Mar 2003 10:36:30 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phil Bondi" <tito@philbondi.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2003 7:18 AM
Subject: Re: Breaking strings - Was: tough work

I see very little splicing in the field. When I do, it's usually a
: mess and a problem to tune(always a tad flat).

Keep practicing those knots.  Aim for making the smallest, neatest knots --
they're the ones that hold best when you pull the string back to full
tension.
:
: I understand the PTG's requirement that this skill at least be aquired to
: pass its test, but I also understand my own concience and my own 'customer
: service' attitude. I want that customer to feel that when a string breaks,
: they'll get a new one, which is what I do. I'm obviously not provicient,
and
: probably don't care to be since I have yet to make an attempt in the field
: to splice.

What do you plan to do when a string breaks just 5 minutes before the
curtain is to rise?  How about when you run out to the stage to do the
intermission touch-up ... and to deal with the string that broke during the
performance?

Meanwhile on the home front, what do you for the customer before the
replacement string arrives?  How about the customer who has a marginal piano
they really don't want to put a lot of money into while they save up for a
better instrument?

Once you get good at it, you might be surprised at how often you'll be doing
string splices.
:
: There's no doubt my inability for splicing will prevent me from becomming
: President of the PTG!,
:
: Phil

Z! Reinhardt  RPT