The Feel of Voice

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Sun, 23 Mar 2003 12:25:15 -0500

Hi Ric,

> ..... For
> example the testing to see whether a ear muffed person can identify
hardness
> or not by feel alone.

FAIW, Bose has come out with some noise cancelling headsets.  I don't know
how well they work or how much they cost, but I think this is the first time
this technology is available on the consumer market.

It would be particularly interesting to play around with these headsets to
ask other questions about sound/experience relationships.  Not only do the
headsets electronically cancel external sounds/noises, but they are also, of
course, *headsets* in the more conventional sense.  So what would happen if
the sound from the piano were bandpass filtered to mimic different hammer
hardnesses and were fed to the pianist through the headsets.  The effect????
Here's another interesting one:  What if miniscule audio delays were
introduced?  What would be the effect on the pianist's perception of the
crispness of the action???  (There might not be any effect, which would be
interesting in itself.)

Just throwing out ideas...

Peace,
Sarah

PS Does anyone get my posts?  Nobody ever responds to them, and I'm starting
to wonder if I'm being shunned for some reason.