Breaking strings - Was: tough work

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@attbi.com
Sun, 23 Mar 2003 16:00:25 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Avery Todd
Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2003 3:44 PM
To: Phil Bondi; Pianotech
Subject: Re: Breaking strings - Was: tough work

Phil,

Reminds me of a story a tech friend of mine told me. When the RPT test
was given, "they" didn't know how to tie a string. So, the examiner
asked
what would they do if a string broke when they were tuning for a
concert.
The answer was, "I'll go back to the shop and make a new one!" :-)

Most of us can't do that, but I tend to agree with you. I don't like to
tie
strings
either, although I know if they're done well, they can last for a long
time!
I learned to tie just to pass the test but I doubt I'd ever do it in
real life!
There's just something about a knot in a string that bothers me. Sorry.
That's just the way I am.

Avery

Avery,
Respectfully, IMHO I disagree. A successful knot in the non speaking
area is a victory. I see string knots from long gone techs and even
those of my own surviving indefinitely and as an effective, economical
repair.
	To me they speak of craftsmanship, however simply executed.
	Tom Driscoll